Home
Loading...
You are here:  Home  >  Politics  >  Egypt  >  Current Article

2 health workers penalised for failing to treat sexual assault victim

  /   1 Comment   /   1242 Views

Ministry of Health announces it will deduct wages of two employees at Mounira Hospital

Egyptian protesters hold up placards and shout slogans during a demonstration in Cairo against sexual harassment on February 12, 2013. Egyptian protesters took to the street again to demand an end to sexual violence, as campaigns against the repeated attacks in central Cairo pick up steam. Sexual harassment has long been a problem in Egypt, but recently the violent nature and frequency of the attacks have raised the alarm.  (AFP PHOTO / KHALED DESOUKI)

Egyptian protesters hold up placards and shout slogans during a demonstration in Cairo against sexual harassment on February 12, 2013. Egyptian protesters took to the street again to demand an end to sexual violence, as campaigns against the repeated attacks in central Cairo pick up steam. Sexual harassment has long been a problem in Egypt, but recently the violent nature and frequency of the attacks have raised the alarm.
(AFP PHOTO / KHALED DESOUKI)

The Ministry of Health has transferred a doctor and the director of the emergency room at Mounira Hospital for failing to treat a victim of severe sexual assault, announced the ministry on Friday.

The health ministry said that following investigations by minister Adel Adawy, it had decided to transfer a gynaecologist and suspend the director of the hospital’s emergency room and deduct 15 days of wages from both of their salaries.

The statement said that Mounira Hospital administered first aid to the victim, but then decided to transfer her to a private hospital to receive further treatment. The Ministry of Health added that as a result it would pay for all the medical expenses of the victim.

The ministry added that it had submitted its findings to the Prosecutor General’s office as part of the ongoing investigations examining the wave of sexual violence in Tahrir Square last Sunday.

There were at least five reported cases of sexual assault amid celebrations in Cairo’s central square celebrating the inauguration of President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi. The incidents were widely condemned and the president and Minister of Defence Sedki Sobhy visited one of the severely injured victims at the hospital earlier this week.


You might also like...

Egyptian protesters hold placards shouting slogans during a demonstration organized by the group "No Military Trials for Civilians" in front of the Shura council in downtown Cairo on November 26, 2013

(AFP File Photo)

Rights groups condemn jurisdiction of military courts

Read More →