Soup: Cabbage soup
Salad: Beet salad
Appetiser: Meat rolls with vegetables
Main course: Chicken with black honey
Dessert: Egyptian sweet rokak
- 1 medium chicken, cut in 4 or 8 parts – fe-rakh
- 1/2 cup molasses – a’-sal es-wed
- 4 boiled potatoes, cooked semi-tender, sliced thickly – ba-ta-tes
- 2 tbsp vinegar – ghal
- 1/4 tbsp nutmeg – go-zit el-teeb
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon – er-fa
- 1/4 tbsp ginger powder – gan-za-beel na-shef
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract – va-nil-ya sai-la
- 1/2 tbsp rosemary, chopped – rose-ma-ry
- 4 tbsp corn oil – zeit dor-a
- 1 lemon, sliced – la-moon
- salt and pepper – malh and fel-fel
- Add the vinegar, molasses, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, vanilla, 2 tbsp oil, salt and pepper to a big bowl.
- Add the chicken to the mixture and stir well to coat completely on all sides and set aside.
- Place the potatoes, rosemary, the rest of the oil, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix well.
- Heat the oven on 180C.
- Transfer the chicken and potatoes to a rack and put into the oven for about 30 minutes or until tender.
- Serve on a large plate and garnish with slices of lemon.
Instead of using the oven you can place the chicken and potatoes under the grill. Makes sure to turn the parts regularly.