Home
Loading...
You are here:  Home  >  Business  >  Current Article

Sokhna crisis resolved

  /   No Comments   /   711 Views

The Sokhna strike has ended after much negotiation, with workers finally returning to their jobs after a presidential proposal

The Sokhna Port strike has now ended after 16 days, following  a presidential proposal to establish a new state-owned joint stock company (AFP Photo)

The Sokhna Port strike has now ended after 16 days, following a presidential proposal to establish a new state-owned joint stock company
(AFP Photo)

The Sokhna Port strike has now ended after 16 days, with workers returning to their jobs at 14 port navigation offices, and with companies at the port reopening for business.

The workers agreed to return to their jobs after a presidential proposal to establish a new state-owned joint stock company, with management holding a 51% stake in the Sokhna Port and investors holding the remaining 49%.

The agreement guarantees the employment of around 1,000 former Platinum Company workers, said Head of the Red Sea Ports Authority (RSPA) Abdel Qader Gaballa.

For the time being, the workers have signed contracts directly with DP World instead of private companies. Gaballah confirmed that the workers will sign with the new joint stock company once it is established.

“Work has returned normally to the Sokhna port, and we have informed all workers and employees working in the navigation lines of the updates,” said Abdallah Abu Hashem, an official at one of the port’s navigation lines, according to state-run MENA. “We hope that something like this doesn’t happen again, because these strikes cause severe losses.”

Port navigation line officials have put themselves forward as arbiters, should any further problems arise.

The RSPA met days ago with the workers and other concerned officials separately.

Around 1,200 workers from Platinum Company in Sokhna were on strike, and were demanding the reinstatement of their contracts and guaranteed permanent employment.

Workers had become worried that they may lose their jobs after DP World ended its contract with Platinum Company, a private company responsible for labour supply to DP World.

DP World had warned that it was considering closing all Sokhna Port operations if the strikes had continued.

The Government has lost around EGP 192m as a result of the strikes.

About the author

Hend El-Behary

Hend El-Behary

Follow her on Twitter @HendElBehary


You might also like...

46.2 million local internet users by end of August 2014.
(AFP Photo)

46.2 million local internet users by end of August 2014

Read More →