You are here:  Home  >  Politics  >  Egypt  >  Current Article

Renewed clashes in Cairo and Kafr El-Sheikh

  /   No Comments

Clashes renewed in the vicinity of Tahrir Square raising the death toll and dozens while injured in Kafr El-Sheikh

An Egyptian protester flashes victory signs near a police vehicle on fire in Cairo's Tahrir Square on January 28, 2013. . AFP PHOTO/MOHAMMED ABED

An Egyptian protester flashes victory signs near a police vehicle on fire in Cairo’s Tahrir Square on January 28, 2013. . AFP PHOTO/MOHAMMED ABED

Clashes between protesters and police have persisted near Simon Bolivar Square since Wednesday night and continuing into the early hours of Thursday morning.

Violent confrontations have been renewing almost on a daily basis since last Thursday when protesters succeeded in taking down part of the concrete barrier erected by security, closing of Qasr Al-Eini Street.

Four died as a result of the Wednesday’s violence, state-run Al-Ahram reported. This brings the total death toll to at least five in Cairo since the death of the first protester Samir Ashraf Samir. At least four more were injured.

Three victims were Ahmed Amin, Reda Mohamed Al-Refa’y and Ahmed Saeed while the fourth remains unknown.

Police exchanged rocks with protesters before resorting to using tear gas.

According to state-owned news agency MENA, the clashes erupted when police began arresting protesters whom responded by throwing rocks at police in an attempt to free detainees.

Police have arrested 27 people involvement in the clashes last night. Dozens have been arrested in Cairo alone since the start of the clashes.

The clashes had begun near Qasr Al-Eini Street before eventually reaching Corniche El-Nile.

On Thursday morning, protesters took down barriers in Tahrir Square opening some of the entrances to the square for cars.

The governorate of Kafr El-Sheikh also witnessed renewed violent clashes outside the Governorate Building. According to Al-Shorouk News, 92 were injured including 13 police officers. Many of the injured had suffocated from the heavy use of teargas by police forces.

The clashes erupted following a large protest condemning the curfew imposed on Port Said, Ismailia and Suez.


You might also like...

Al-Jazeera channel's Australian journalist Peter Greste (L) and Egyptian journalist Mohamed Baher stand inside the defendants cage during their trial for allegedly supporting the Muslim Brotherhood at the police institute near Cairo's Tora prison on June 1, 2014. The high-profile case that sparked a global outcry over muzzling of the press is seen as a test of the military-installed government's tolerance of independent media, with activists fearing a return to autocracy three years after the Arab Spring uprising that toppled Hosni Mubarak. 


UPDATE: Al Jazeera’s Peter Greste out of prison

Read More →