Mohamed Al-Sawy, Essam Sultan, and Hatem Azzam, members of the now-dissolved People’s Assembly, have accused the prosecutor general of abusing his power and issuing threats.
The report was filed at Qasr El-Nil police department, on Monday.
Prosecutor General Abdel Meguid Mahmoud threatened Al-Sawy over the phone, according to Sultan’s Facebook page. Mahmoud was allegedly angry over a court case Al-Sawy and others had filed against him. The ex-parliamentarians had filed a case with the president of the Supreme Council of the Judiciary and the minister of justice. They demanded an investigation into regime figures’ lawsuits. The parliamentarians wanted to ensure the cases were being properly conducted.
Sultan ended his post, “honourable prosecutor general we can’t be threatened, we’re not afraid and will not be silenced. The law will be applied upon you.”
Legal groups like Together to Hold the Prosecutor General Accountable and the National Campaign to Document Mubarak’s Crimes have announced their solidarity with Al-Sawy and Azzam.
On Monday, Sultan submitted a memo to Ismailia Criminal Court against Mahmoud. He accused Mahmoud of not bringing to trial two orchestrators of the Port Said massacre.
Al-Husseiny Abo Amar and Gamal Omar, an NDP member and businessman with links to the former regime respectively, are allegedly involved in planning, managing and financing the massacre. The event claimed the lives of 72 people during a football match in Port Said.
In his memo, Sultan said he might file a lawsuit against Mahmoud.
Sultan also questioned Mahmoud on Thursday via Facebook about former parliament member Moustafa Bakry.
Sultan claimed Bakry lied about a meeting he had with Mahmoud. Sultan claimed Bakry met the prosecutor general to ask him to help his brother, who had been dismissed from the judiciary. Bakry has claimed the meeting was over a presidential decision to arrest him.
Mahmoud was recently the centre of a major crisis between the presidency and the judiciary. A presidential decision to appoint Mahmoud as an ambassador to Vatican was refused by the prosecutor general. The crisis was resolved after negotiations between Mahmoud and Minister of Justice Ahmed Mekki.